Wednesday, September 7, 2011

In Memorial: Peter Allen, a successful Student, Athlete, and Disciple of Jesus

In Memorial: Peter Allen, a successful Student, Athlete, and Disciple of Jesus

original post: Darren Overstreet

Peter Allen is a Sophomore at the University of Washington who was baptized as a Freshman a year ago. When we first met, I was immediately drawn to him, because he was the kind of guy everyone wanted to be around, spiritual, soft spoken and encouraging. At the time, he was on the crew team, trying to earn his way onto one of the top Freshman boats. He was enduring 6am practices with a full course load, yet he consistently got together twice a week to study the Bible. We had a few studies where Peter was so tired, he could barely stay awake. But like all things, he persevered and became our brother. Today, he is preparing to become a student Bible Talk leader and has helped a number of young men become Christians.

Peter has set an example in many areas of his faith and life and so I asked him if we could write an article about what motivates him. He reluctantly obliged and even managed to write some things about what has inspired him to aim for success spiritually, athletically, and academically. When asked about being a student leader on campus, he responded,

“ I don’t always see myself as a role model, or even a good example. I have been very blessed to have been given many opportunities in my life while so many other people in my life have faced and gone through more than I ever will. I have made many mistakes in my life and hold plenty of regrets. I’ve messed up many relationships and blown many opportunities. I’ve been hurt my people and hurt them even more. All these experiences, good and bad, have given me perspective and keep me humble, and I’m thankful for each and every one of them as without them I wouldn’t have been as affected by the Bible or seen the need for God in my life. God’s grace has given me the ability to forgive others and forgive myself. Without him and his sacrifice I’d have, and be, nothing.”

It’s so refreshing to see that kind of attitude in someone in a world where people tend to want to take credit for their accomplishments and talents, I enjoy is candid and humble take that without God, we would have nothing. It’s so true that it is God who gives us everything to work with, yet he does so wondering what we will do with it.

“I’m not close to the best at anything I do, but I think what success I have had in my life has come from my willingness to work as hard as I can, letting God help me, and in turn giving the glory back to him.”

As disciples, it can be easy to forget that at the center of every accomplishment is our God, a loving father who paved the way for us to give our best in everything, because he gave his best to us: by sending his one and only son to love us, lead us, and ultimately to die for us on the cross.

When asked about things that have indeed motivated him outside of the Cross, he mentioned a quote by a two way starter at Stanford University, Marecic Owen, who said “Today give all that you have, for what you keep inside you lose forever”.

As a campus disciple, it can be easy to forget that God wants us to give all we have in everything we do. We are challenged to do everything as if we are doing it for the Lord. How we treat our grades, our faith and our jobs should represent our commitment to Jesus: that in all things, we should give 100%. Sometimes we can go through a bit of confusion in how much should we give to being successful in both spiritual and secular pursuits in part because we worry about our own motivation or selfish ambition. Commenting on that, Peter had this to say, “ My drive and self-motivation in life was strong before I was a Christian, and while I studied the Bible, but it didn’t come into fruition until I understood Jesus’ sacrifice and made my motivation to serve rather than my own selfish ambition. Christ’s love has given me a fuller, better, and realer perspective on life and myself. Seeds of motivation planted when I was young, and my recently new love for the Lord now allow me to work hard for the right reasons. I now try to make the most out of each and every day, realizing that time is my most valuable tool and that even the smallest decisions (or indecisions) will make or break my effectiveness as a disciple. I try to share my faith more each day; every bible study or quiet time I have is because Christ’s love compels me. I’m proud of how God has stretched me, but I need him to keep me soft-hearted as I still have much more room to grow as I continue to serve him.”

It has been a joy to have Peter as a brother and I look forward to seeing all the ways God will use him over the course of his life. Peter has been working out daily and is considering rejoining the Husky Crew Team this year. He currently has a 3.54 GPA in Biochemistry.
__________________________________________________________________

On Sept 5th 2011, Peter Allen had an accident that took his life. He went hiking, one of his hobbies, to a hill and fell down from a high place. It was a very sad story. I hope, by this post, all of you may know him and get the inspiration and become a better disciple in campus. God bless you. - Yohannes Affandy Siregar.

His Facebook Profile
His Funeral Facebook Invitation

Some testimonies from brothers and sisters who have met him.

Peter,
It just seemed like I talked with you a month ago at ICMC.... Your words of encouragement for me even though I had probably talked with you a couple of times. I had seen so much growth from you from the first time I met you to ICMC. God was working in tremendous ways through you to your crew members and the church and your family. I pray this opens doors for all of them to see that you were living for God and not for yourself. I am praying for your family, the Crew team, and the church. You have now reached salvation! I do wish I got to know you better and could have spent more time with you, but we will have time in heaven bro. I love you and I will miss you deeply. - John Biggerstaff

Thank You Peter, for the man of God that you are, and for the example that you set in our ministry. You are Dearly loved and missed. You will always be remembered. I love you so much. Can't wait to see you again, Well done Good and faithful servant, well done. - Kyle TheMan Winje

Peter, we love and miss you so much. we are all grieving because we miss you, but we know that you are partying it up with god in heaven. the views must be incredible. you have left such marks on all our lives, and will continue to inspire us even though you are gone. love you bro ♥ - Sara Brumley

No comments: